Hi Corbett Field has been home to major and minor league baseball in Tucson since 1937. The orginal name of the stadium was Randolph Municipal Baseball Park. In 1951 it was renamed Hi Corbett after Hiram Corbett, a ninth generation Tucsonian. He was president of the Tucson Baseball Commission for 24 years, an Arizona senator and a huge baseball fan. He assisted in bringing the PCL to Tucson in 1969.
The TUCSON LIZARDS were the first minor league team to play at Hi Corbett. They were a class "D" team in the Arizona/Texas League and played from 1937-1950.
Next came the TUCSON COWBOYS. They played at Hi Corbett from 1950-1958. They were a class "C" team in the Arizona/Texas League and won the championship in 1953.
1958-1969 was a "Dark Period" in minor league baseball. No minor league teams played at Hi Corbett during that time and the stadium sat quiet and empty except for spring training.
Then came the TUCSON TOROS who reigned from 1969-1997. Parent teams of the Toros were The Chicago White Sox (1969-72), Oakland A's (1973-76), Texas Rangers (1977-79) Houston Astros (1980-96) and Milwaukee Brewers (1997).
The Cleveland Indians called Hi Corbett its spring training home from 1947-1992. Since 1993 the Colorado Rockies have been the spring training occupants. USA Baseball used the field in the summers from 1997-2003 and then relocated to North Carolina. The current summer residents are the Arizona Heat Women's Pro Fastpitch Softball Team.
Comments on players or Hi Corbett? Post them in the forum below. You can also read CORKY SIMPSON's column on Hi Corbett there.
Front gates of Hi Corbett Field
View from the press box
From the warning track looking in.
Renovated: 1992 & 1997
Parts of the 1989 movie "Major League" was filmed at Hi Corbett Field using the UA baseball team as extras.